Saturday, March 15, 2008

on being ill

In a half dream last night, sleep was a volleyball that Cristen and her father were tossing to each other back and forth over my head. I just wanted sleep, I reached up every time it went over my head, but I couldn't get my hands on it. What woke me up was a shooting pain in my lower abdomen that would not go away for forty minutes. I felt like I was dying. I was lying on the floor in the bathroom in a ball holding my stomach sweating wanting to vomit crying, all the things my doctor in California told me not to do when I get pains like these. "Try not to be so dramatic about it," she said. (She's really sensitive, that Dr. Pickering.) I felt like a baby for calling my friends and my mom, but it hurt so bad I didn't know what to do. It finally stopped when the Tylenol started working, but what will I do if it ever happens to me in public? I've had lots of tests done, even an ultrasound, and there seems to be nothing wrong with me. But then why does this happen?

No comments: