Sunday, September 6, 2009

Heather says, Are you sure it was a dream and not a flashback?

I was in Mount Vernon at a vintage store looking through old dresses, but they were all too big for me. Maybe it was the store I used to go to when I first moved to Maryland, the one on Charles Street that was below ground level that was later moved to Hampden. What was it called? Dreamland? I bought a yellow 60s shift dress there and now I'm too fat for it. Anyway, I left the store and met Heather near the monument. I asked her where she wanted to go for breakfast and she said Let's go to this bar where my friend is the owner. And we walked into a tiny, dirty bar with a low ceiling and no windows. Of course Heather was wound into a long conversation with her owner friend and I sat at the bar next to a man with a pinhead, just like the one in Popeye, and I said to myself Please don't talk to me, pinhead, oh please don't start talking to me. And then, of course, I woke up.

Heather and Jen are or will soon be back in Baltimore, and sometimes I daydream about all of us returning and what it would be like now, would things be the same? I miss Eunjeong taking care of me and showing me new stores, and I miss the leaves changing color in the fall. I like to think how I would do things differently, starting with one night at the Brass Elephant. It's useless, I know, but I do it anyway. I think I need a change. I want to live in the city again, but I feel like I will never be able to afford anything and I am just stuck here near the port.

No comments: